Stories of New Muslim converts/reverts provide a unique opportunity to learn about the thought process through which these individuals reached to bilieve that There is only one God and Muhammad, Jesus, Moses and Abraham (Peace upon them all) are prophets of The God Almighty. The narrations give a comprehensive account on comparative religion between Islam, Judaism and Christianity. No path to truth except His Guidance. May The Creator show us right Path. Ameen

1/28/09

Rahul - a Western Australian Overseas Student

My Experience in Embracing Islam
by
Rahul - a Western Australian Overseas Student

Ever since I was young I have had this special kind of attraction towards Allah (swt). I had not been exposed to any other religions as much as I had been exposed to Islam. A great number of my friends back home were Muslims, and the house we live in is surrounded by four mosques and all our neighbours are Muslims.
This has, over time, led me more towards Islam, and my interest in it had been gradually developing, until the point when I really wanted to be part of the Muslim community and to be able to pray and follow Allah's guidance.

My timing of each day had been guided according to the Azan times. I could clearly hear the Azan throughout the day, and that was when I always used to feel that I wish I could also be able to go and pray. So I would just pray from my heart, whenever I heard the Azan. Surprisingly, it was always Allah that I used to pray to for help and guidance. Hearing the Azan had always made me feel peaceful. It gave me some kind of inner peace, especially waking up to it every morning. I truly miss not hearing that here in Perth.
When I was young I used to go to school in a private school bus and the driver, who was a Muslim, used to play a tape of Qur’anic verses. Every morning this became my motivation to go to school because then I would be able to hear the verses which gave me immense peace of mind, and made my day go well, and at times if the driver hadn’t put on the verses, then I’d ask him to do that.

“And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy.” Quran 7:204

* * *

One person that has really motivated me and given me the courage to revert is a Muslim internet friend. We have never met in person to date, but we’ve known each other for four years. This person has supported me with my feelings towards Islam and prayed day and night for me in my times of trouble, and I have always managed to get through the problems because of these prayers. That has made my faith in Allah even stronger. It was as if He was trying to attract my attention, through this online friend, guiding me to the right path, towards the right way of life.

“ Who is better in religion than he who surrendereth his purpose to Allah while doing good (to men) and followeth the tradition of Abraham, the upright ? Allah (Himself) chose Abraham for friend.” Quran 4:125

One night in August 2002 I told my friend that I really wanted to be a Muslim, and that I didn’t know what to do. This Muslim repeatedly asked me if that is what I really wanted in my heart. I repeatedly answered “Yes”. Seeing that my desire was to become a Muslim, I was told about the beliefs in Islam, about the five pillars in Islam, and was invited to repeat Ash-hadu anna ilaaha ill-Allah wa Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar Rasool-ullah
.
It was a special moment for me. I was being lead into a way of life that I so dearly wanted. I felt great when I was told that this was all that I had to do, to become a Muslim.

Although I felt that I was a Muslim from that night, I still felt that I needed a more formal way of declaring my faith, which led me to continue in my quest to search for someone that could ‘officially’ guide me in to the way of life for which I was striving.

My quest in looking for the right channel to guide me into Islam, finally bore fruit through my search on the internet. I came across the Islam-Australia (www.islam-australia.net) web site and something within me made me immediately contact them. To my surprise, I got a prompt reply from a brother saying they could help me.

At this point I felt as if Allah (swt) was seeing my desperation to follow His guidelines, and with His
blessings and guidance, two brothers from Islam-Australia came to my place and I gave the Shahadah on 23rd July 2003, after which I felt like I was born again. I felt instant happiness and inner peace, on again declaring my faith, and that night I could not stop myself from reading almost all of the literature, provided to me, about Islam.

However, before I reverted, I had this fear in me as to how I would come out and talk to people about my feelings regarding Islam. But since seeking refuge in Allah (swt), and after my first Jumu’ah prayer, I feel blessed by Allah (swt) and now feel I have his strength in me, and realize that I have nothing to fear, except Allah (swt).

It is now over two months since I reverted, and I feel really good about myself. Memorizing and understanding the surahs is becoming much easier day by day, and I look forward to every Jumu’ah prayer, as the feeling of praying with fellow brothers is very special and brings me inner peace. I personally feel a sense of belonging, and feel much safer and more secure after reverting. Also being accepted in Islam, is definitely the most positive turn in my life.

It was related that Abu Musa said that the Messenger of God (Prayers and peace be upon him) said: “A believer to another believer is like a building whose different parts enforce each other.” Hadith - Muslim

It is my sincere request to all brothers and sisters in Islam, to encourage and give confidence to anyone who they see showing an interest in joining this ‘way of life’, but who may be reluctant to do so, thinking that they might be rejected or laughed at. Give these people confidence, and show them that they will be warmly welcomed, just like I was.

May Allah (swt) bless you and guide you.

No comments:

Post a Comment